This simple flat bread requires only 2 ingredients! It is plant-based, gluten-free, and makes a wonderful pizza crust as well!!
Of course, this recipe is not paleo, as quinoa is a grain and grains are not included in the Paleo Diet. However, throughout the years, this recipe has brought joy to many people and stands as the most viewed video of all time on my YouTube channel. If grains do not bother you, this recipe is wonderful, healthy, and I highly recommend it!
The Paleo Diet excludes grains because they contain phytates, lectins, and other anti-nutrients. To make quinoa more digestible and reduce anti-nutrients, simply soak the quinoa overnight in water, and rinse well. Then instead of using 1 cup of water, use just 3/4 of a cup as the quinoa will have absorbed some of the soaking water.
Here's a video I made of the process! You can subscribe to my YouTube here.
1 cup of quinoa
1 cup of water
Herbs, spices, and salt if desired
(I like adding a small amount Italian seasoning, salt, and honey but the bread still tastes very yummy without anything added)
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Blend quinoa and water mixture together in a blender or food processor until a pancake batter consistency is achieved.
3. Pour batter onto a parchment paper covered circular pan and spread the mixture evenly with a spatula
4. Sprinkle on your favorite herbs/spices if desired.
5. Bake for 15 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and flip over, bake for another 5-10 minutes until both sides are golden brown.
7. Let cool, cut into slices, and top with your favourite spread!
This bread also makes a delicious pizza crust! Simply add the tomato sauce and toppings after the bread is fully baked and bake until toppings are soft (~10 minutes). Here's another video I made showing how:
Although I no longer consume quinoa regularly on my Paleo diet, I am not dogmatic or against grain consumption for those who can handle them. If you'd like to know why I personally stopped eating a vegan diet and how avoiding grains has helped me, check out this video below.